Building permits are legal documents that signify that a building surveyor has approved building work prior to it commencing.
Building Permits are required for the following within the West Wimmera Shire:
- Construction of a new dwelling, carport, garage or shed, including farm buildings.
- Extension or alteration of an existing building;
- Changing the use of an existing building;
- Demolition or removal of an existing building;
- Construction relating to swimming pools, spas and safety fencing;
- Re-erection of a building.
Undertaking building work without obtaining the necessary building permit is a serious offence and can result in severe penalties. The Building Act 1993 (Victoria) prescribes a penalty of up to $10,000 for any persons who carry out work without a permit.
To apply for a building permit, you will need to complete an Form 1 - Application for Building Permit , submit plans and other required documentation to demonstrate the proposed building work will comply with the Building Regulations.
Contact the Building Department on 035585 9900 to discuss the requirements to obtain a Building Permit.