A relaxed and informal lifestyle, Mediterranean climate and spectacular scenery are key features of the West Wimmera region. There is no commuter rush and any drive is framed by beautiful, natural vistas.
Primary production has significantly driven growth in the region with producers in the area equalling some of the most efficient in Australia, if not the world. Farming practices in the region are dominated by broad acre dry land cropping systems based on wheat rotated with other cereals, oilseeds and legumes.
Our region at a glance
- Estimated resident population: 4,251
- Land area: 9200 square kilometres
- Total output: $345.129 million
- Key industries: Dryland farming, irrigated horticulture (carrots), tourism, transport and logistics, health and community services.
- Emerging industries: Value-add to agricultural product, feed production, dairy, aquaculture