Serviceton was established after the Victorian and South Australian governments decided to build a junction station midway between their capitals, when the broad gauge railway line was being built. The Heritage listed 3 level building constructed of Horsham made bricks was completed in 1889 in the then 'Disputed Territory'. A survey of the border discovered that there was a discrepancy of several kilometres extending from the Murray Riverto the coast in the south. Both Victorian and South Australia claimed this area of land to be theirs. Further information is available in the "Disputed Country Book" available for purchase at the Railway Station
The Dispute was finally settled in 1914 in Victoria's favour. Serviceton, boasted a large population, with a flourishing busy town life with a post office, saddler store, wine cafe and billiard room, boarding houses, pharmacy, bank, newsagent, fruiters, blacksmiths, bakery and butchery to name a few.
The Station presents displays of local and railway memorabilia. Tours of its fourteen main rooms (including a dungeon) are available by arrangement.
Les & Janet Millikin | 03 5393 1448
Angela Heinrich | 03 5393 1228.