Our Planning & Environment Team is responsible for assessing and enforcing planning permit applications in accordance with the West Wimmera Planning Scheme. The team also coordinates the issue of subdivision permits and the release of plans of subdivision.
Our Planning & Environment Team is responsible for the formation of policies and planning scheme amendments in accordance with the future vision of the Council.
Need help with your planning application?
The West Wimmera Planning Scheme sets out where developments and uses require a planning permit.
There are a variety of instances where you may need a planning permit such as:
- The subdivision of land.
- The removal or lopping of native vegetation.
- Construction of outbuildings (sheds and garages).
- The construction and use of a dwelling in many rural and rural residential areas.
- Development and use of a multi-unit development.
- Changing the use of the land - setting up a new business.
- Constructing, altering and sometimes painting a building located within a Heritage Overlay.
- Demolition of a building in a Heritage Overlay.
- Commencing or expanding a business without sufficient on site car parking.
- Applying for a new liquor licence or extending an existing licence.
If you have any queries about planning, or wish to talk to a planning officer before you lodge your application, a planner is available at the West Wimmera Shire offices between 8:30 am and 5.00 pm weekdays, please phone ahead on (03) 5585 9900 to make an appointment.
For larger, more complex proposals, it is suggested you contact our Planning & Environment Team to determine whether a pre-application meeting would be of assistance. Please ensure you bring along any plans or documents that may assist in the discussion.