Local Government Act 1989 – Section 119(2)
At its meeting on 15 February 2017 the Council proposed to make the Meeting Procedure and Common Seal Local Law 2017.
Purpose of the Meeting Procedure and Common Seal Local Law: The proposed Local Law will provide procedures relating to the conduct of Council and special committee meetings and apply requirements concerning the use of the Council's Common Seal as required by the Local Government Act 1989.
General Purport of the Local Law
The general purport of the Local Law includes prescribing:
- the public notice requirements applying to Council and special committee meetings of the Council;
- how voting is undertaken, including for the election of the Mayor;
- prescribing the matters to be included in agendas for Council meetings and the order of business at meetings;
- formal motions and other procedural matters relating to Council meetings;
- provisions concerning minutes of meetings of the Council, special committees and assembly of Councillors; and
- the enforcement and penalty provisions of the existing Local Law to make the provisions consistent with State legislation.
Written submissions about the proposed Local Law will be considered in accordance with section 223 of the Local Government Act 1989 and should be addressed to the Chief Executive Officer, West Wimmera Shire Council, PO Box 201, Edenhope Vic 3318. Written submissions must be received at the Council Offices no later than the close of business on 2 June 2017.
Any person who makes a written submission can ask to be heard by the Council in support of their submission and may be represented by a person, (who is specified in their submission), to act on their behalf. The date, time and place of any meeting to hear submissions on the Local Law will be directly notified to those who have asked to be heard.
Copies of the proposed Local Law and the accompanying explanatory documents can be obtained from the Council's Offices at 49 Elizabeth Street, Edenhope and 25 Baker Street, Kaniva or downloaded below.
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
Review of Local Law No.7 - Background Information
Meeting Procedure and Common Deal Local Law 2017