We love getting outdoors while the weather is warm. T
he problem is – so do the mosquitoes. They're not just annoying; some mozzies can transmit serious diseases.
There are simple things you can do to Beat the bite!
- Wear loose-fitting clothing when outdoors.
- Use mosquito repellents containing DEET or picaridin on exposed skin.
- Try to limit outdoor activity if lots of mosquitoes are about (usually dusk and dawn).
- Make sure there is no stagnant water where mosquitoes can breed around your home.
- On holidays make sure your accommodation is properly fitted with mosquito netting or screens.
- Don't forget the kids – it's safer to spray or rub insect repellents on their clothes rather than directly onto their skin.
Further information and handy checklists to assist you to protect yourself and your family are available at www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/campaigns/beat-the-bite.