West Wimmera Shire Council has a number of locations assessed as suitable for a Relief Centre. A Relief Centre is established once an emergency is declared. The decision of which Relief Centre to open is dependent on the nature and extent of emergency. It's purpose is to provide shelter, first aid, food, registration and support and information. If attending an Emergency Relief Centre people should bring:
- any mediaction, prescriptions and other personal health aids
- personal identity documents
- light bedding and clothing
- cash, water and non-perishable goods to last at least 12 hours
- baby necessities such as nappies and baby formula
Council has a limited space for companion animals and pets. Depending on the emergency this location may not be near the Relief Centre. A Relief Centre is not a "Leave Early" place. The location of Relief Centres will be conveyed by local media. This location will be determined once the nature of the emergency is known.
Watch this video explaining what you can expect at an emergency relief centre.