Planning an event

Why register your event with West Wimmera Shire Council?

Promotion: Your event can be promoted across the shire via our events calendar on this website, on Council's Facebook page and in Council's monthly newsletter West Wimmera Wire.

Safe: When you fill out an event registration form we will send this to all departments within Council, including Planning, Building, Health, Infrastructure and Waste. This ensures every department is aware of what is happening and that you have the correct permits and permission to run your event. 

Support: During the planning process, we are here to assist you and provide guidance to make your event a success. If you are looking for advice, we are here to have a chat on the phone or meet up in person.


Complete an event notification form

An event notification form has to be completed for all events in West Wimmera. This is not only to notify council of any legal requirements that might need to be completed but it also lets us find ways to help your event. Whether that be through funding, promotion or other way. It's important that this form is completed as soon as you know the event is going ahead, so there is lots of time to help. If we don't know your event is on then we cant help you!

Please lodge this form a minimum of 12 weeks prior to the event.

Click here to view form.

Have a conversation with a council representative

After you have completed and sent off the Event Notification From a council representative will contact you to discuss and regulatory and safety requirements that might be legally require for your event.

Examples include: Event Permits,Temporary Road Closure and more.


Application to conduct a non-road activity

If you are applying for a permit to conduct a non-road activity on West Wimmera Shire Council Roads, you will need to complete the form below.

To facilitate a non-road activity authorised by a permit WWSC may authorise the closure of the local roads to all traffic or to particular types of traffic for the period specified in the permit. A permit may be subject to:

  • Any terms, conditions or limitations which the WWSC as the coordinating authority, considers appropriate; and
  • The payment of a fee specified in the act.

    You may also be applying for authorisation to erect, display, place, remove or alter Traffic Control Devices as specified below, under the Road Safety (Traffic Management) Regulations 2009. If so you acknowledge that:

  • The Traffic Control Devices must be installed and removed as outlined in relevant sections below, unless further authorisation has been granted;
  • Accurate records of actual usage of the Traffic Control Devices will be kept in a document, which can be provided to WWSC (eg a diary);
  • The attached plans are a true and accurate reflection of the base information and proposed treatments; and
  • The treatments shown on the plans are in accordance with the Worksite Safety Traffic Management – Code of Practice.

Please complete the section below, attach any supporting documentation.

All fields must be completed in order to process your application.

Click here to view form.

Things to consider

Considerations need to be given to the event type, size, inclusions and any associated requirements. Note: some of these are legal and safety requirement that must be completed.

Place of Public Entertainment (PoPE) or Temporary Structure - Your event may require a PoPE Permit; depending on the size of the event, number of people attending or the use of a temporary structure such as a stage, marquee or tent. 

Safety Officer – As part your event permits, it might be a condition of the permit that you are required to have a Safety Officer at your event. 

The Safety Officer must either hold a Safety Training Qualification “in accordance of the Building Regulations 2006 section 1105 Conditions of Use”, or have relevant qualifications and experience in emergency management (CFA, SES). Where an alternative person is nominated, details of their qualifications and experience (CV/Resume) is required to be submitted for assessment and approval.
Safety Officer training is available through MFB; providing relevant qualifications for ‘Safety Officer – In a Place of Public Entertainment’.       

Stallholders must be registered under the Food Act 1984, have appropriate public liability insurance, and must submit a Statement of Trade [Streatrader] at least 5 days prior to the event date.

Visit Department of Health & Human Services for more information about food safety requirements. 

Road Closure – If your event proposes to close a road or requires road closures to facilitate its operations, a road closure application will be required to be submitted to the Shire or Vic Roads (road dependent). Contact us for clarification of which application is relevant to your event location/road.

Traffic Management Plan - If your event includes road closures, a traffic management plan must be developed and installed/manned by an accredited traffic management company. 

Road Closure Communication/Notification  It is a requirement that if you are closing a road you must notify residents and businesses within the road closure area and surrounding areas, at least four weeks prior to the event. This is to be communicated by way of a notification letter to each individual place of residence/business, advising of the changed traffic conditions and providing a map of the area and relevant event contact details. Furthermore you will be required to advertise the road closure in the local newspapers.

Event Management Plan  Is the plan that includes all the details about the event and how it will be implemented, including; relevant contacts, overview, program, budget, logistics, run sheet, site maps, evacuation plans, security schedules, etc.

Event Marketing Plan - The development of an effective marketing and communications plan is essential for the delivery of a successful event. Considerations to include; event summary, vision/mission, target markets, objectives and performance indications, strategies and initiatives.

Risk Management Plan - A risk management plan sets out the strategies and the processes you've put in place to help you manage risk associated with your event.

Licenced areas  If you are selling alcohol as part of your event, a temporary licence is likely required. Please visit the Victorian Commission for Racing, Gaming & Liquor or contact us for more information.

Emergency Service Agency Contact - You must notify specific agencies of your upcoming event, ensuring that relevant authorities are aware that the event is taking place, and are provided with relevant detail. Victoria PoliceCFA VictoriaAmbulance VictoriaSES

Develop a draft plan; include the aim and purpose, identify target markets, resources and budget, determine event requirements and logistics.

Once the draft plan has been developed, a realistic budget can be established.

We have some funding and support available for community events. Visit our Grants & Funding page for more information.


Risk and emergency management

The varying activities that can be part of a community event or festival can provide a difficult environment for risk management. Activities can involve other groups or individuals, can involve some major risks, or can involve a number of people coming together for a short period of time. The physical environment can be challenging , and the weather can intervene and cause chaos at any time. Proper planning is essential.

You can download a Risk Management Checklist and a Emergency Management Plan Template below. Both documents should be included in your Risk Management Plan.

Risk-Assessment-Template.doc(DOC, 252KB)

Emergency-Management-Plan-Template.docx(DOCX, 56KB)