Poolaijelo Fire

This page contains links and support for those affected by the Poolaijelo Fire.  

Poolaijelo Hall on Thursday 20 January from 10am to 1pm landholders impacted by the fires can connect with experts and access assistance. Read more below:

Drop-in Day at the Poolaijelo Hall

In conjunction with Agriculture Victoria, West Wimmera Shire Council is arranging a drop-in day at the Poolaijelo Hall on Thursday 20 January from 10am to 1pm for landholders impacted by the fires.

The purpose of the drop-in is to connect landholders with experts who can provide assistance about a broad range of subjects, from fencing issues to pasture management and livestock information, to sediment traps and erosion control, and also advice about coping with matters relating to personal welfare.

The presenters will each deliver a short speech about the type of assistance their organisation can offer, and will then be available for one-on-one conversations with anyone who would like to have a chat.

The presenters will include:

Chris Blore – Agriculture Victoria - pasture management and livestock information 

Clem Sturmfels – Agriculture Victoria - sediment traps and erosion control  

Rob & Bronwyn Edwards - Blazeaid

Michael White – Rural Financial Counselling Service Victoria West

Celia Scott – impacted farmer and VFF representative

Michelle Freeman - Uniting Wimmera

Heather Drendel – Recovery Manager,  Langkoop-Edenhope Penola Road Fire 


Rural Outreach support is available on 1300 688 732.

Free Rural Financial Counselling support is available on 1300 735 578.

Contact WWSC on 13 99 72 for further information and support.


Water is available for members of the community affected by the fires at Poolaijelo Memorial Hall provided by GWM water.

Complete the water request form below.

Essential-water-replacement-form-Wimmera.pdf(PDF, 681KB)

Click here to view form.


Livestock and waste disposal

Disposing of carcasses after bushfire, flood or drought Information here


Rural Aid


Rural Aid are experienced and qualified counsellors and will help support farmers through the recovery for as long as they need it. Rural Aid's counselling service is free, confidential and doesn’t require a GP referral, they will also come to you on the farm.

Call Rural Aid on 1300 327 624 or visit ruralaid.org.au/counselling

RA Counselling Flyer V1694.jpg

Farm Support

Rural Aid also support farmers with free fodder, water (and recently supplied free water tanks), financial support and farm army. To recieve this support all you need to do is register to provide proof that you are a primary producer. 

For Assistance call 1300 327 624 or visit ruralaid.org.au

Rural Aid Supporting Farmers & Rural Communities V1.0_Page_1.png


Rob Edwards from Blazeaid is co-ordinating activities from the base, which has been established at the Showground. Rob can be contacted on 0434 842 259.



RFCS Victoria West

Poolaijelo farmers can access the free support of the local rural financial counsellor team.

Government-funded, independent and confidential, the Rural Financial Counselling Service has operated nationwide for over 35 years, providing free business support to primary producers and now regional small business owners navigating the challenges of financial stress or uncertainty, including operating through drought, bushfire and COVID19.  

RFCS Victoria West is your local provider with a local office in Horsham. The highly qualified and experienced RFCs live in the regions they work in and understand local conditions and communities.

Your local RFC can support you through recovery in a range of ways including:

  • Assisting with Farm Household Allowance, RIC loan and other grant applications
  • Referrals to specialist professionals including RFCS Victoria West’s well-being counsellor
  • Developing cash flow budgets and getting a clearer picture of your financial position
  • Negotiating with banks, creditors, suppliers or insurance providers
  • Planning for the next months and for the future

And the rural financial counsellors will come to you so you don’t need to leave the farm, or they can arrange another appropriate and covid-safe location. Appointments can also happen over the phone or video call where needed. Appointments are always free of charge and the free service is ongoing for as long as needed.

Keep their number handy. If you don’t need it, someone you know might.

Call 1300 735 578 or visit www.RFCSVictoriaWest.com.au.

RFCS Victoria West tile.png


Additional Information

Uniting Victas

Emergency Relief Services


Forest Fire Management Victoria

Public Land Recovery


West Wimmera Shire Council

Emergency Information