If you have a dog or cat, you must:
- Microchip and register at three months of age.
- Renew the registration every year by 10 April.
- Advise Council if you change address or the animal is deceased.
- You may be fined if your cat or dog is over three months old and is not registered, and
- You must follow particular restrictions in relation to restricted breeds of dogs.
When you register a dog or cat, Council knows the pet's owner and address, and how many dogs and cats you own. In West Wimmera Shire Council you are permitted to have two dogs and/or two cats in the township on land up to 0.4 hectare and fours dogs and/or four cats in the township on land greater than 0.4 hectare. A Community Local Law Application for Permit form will need to be completed if you exceed these limits.
You do not need to register pets like birds, fish and small animals.
For an updated list of pet registration fees please see the 2020-2021 Budget schedule of fees here(PDF, 838KB)