After you receive a planning application decision

Find answers to a range of frequently asked questions related to planning.

I have received a Notice of Decision to grant a permit. Is that a planning permit?

No. A Notice of Decision (NOD) to grant a permit indicates that council is proposing to grant a permit when there are outstanding objections.

An objector has 28 days from the date the NOD was issued to appeal council's decision to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT). If no appeal is lodged, a planning permit will then be issued.

An applicant has 60 days to apply to review any of the conditions included in the proposed planning permit. The applicant must notify council and all objectors if they apply to VCAT to review any of the conditions of the planning permit.


How do I lodge an appeal against Council’s decision at VCAT?

You can appeal council's planning permit decision by contacting the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT). An application for appeal must be made within the prescribed time periods.

VCAT information


I was issued a Notice of Decision [NOD] to grant a permit. I have called VCAT and no appeal has been lodged. Can Council issue my permit immediately?

No, council cannot issue a permit until the appeal time has expired.

Visit the VCAT website for more information

I have received a planning permit with a letter saying that the plans to be endorsed under planning permit conditions, must be submitted. What does this mean?

If your planning permit has been approved with conditions, you will not be able to act on the permit until the plans and other documents have been endorsed.

Submit your plans or documents online, via mail or directly at Council’s customer service centres.


When does my permit expire, and can I extend it?

A planning permit will expire when a development, a use or subdivision approved by that planning permit is not carried out within the specified timeframes.

These timeframes are usually set out in a condition of the permit. The timeframes specify dates for commencing and completing the requirements of the permit.

A request can be made to Council to extend these timeframes:

  • Before the permit expires, or
  • Within 6 months after the permit expires, or
  • Within 12 months after the permit expires, if the development lawfully commenced before the expiry date and you wish to extend the time to complete the development. Evidence to show works have started may be requested by the Council Officer assessing the application.

Contact Council for further information on what is required for an extension.


Can I amend my planning permit or endorsed plans?

Planning permits generally consist of two documents; the planning permit and the endorsed plans. You can propose changes to the planning permit, the endorsed plans, or both.

Your request to amend the permit or plans must follow the same process as planning ppermit application, including the public notice process.