Planning permit assessment



Respond a request for further information

What do I do if I get a request for further information?

A request for further information will detail what document/s and/or information is missing from the application. If you are unsure about anything, contact the planning officer before submitting your amendments. It is important that you:

  • Follow the process for responding as outlined in your letter
  • Supply the information in the format requested
  • Consider engaging the support of a planning consultant to assist if it is complex

How much time do I have to respond?

If you receive a request for further Information, all amendments must be received by the indicated due date; this will generally be between 30 – 60 days from the date the RFI was issued.

What are the implications of not responding by the due date?

If you do not provide all the requested information by the due date, the application will lapse and cannot be progressed further.

You would then need to lodge a new planning permit application, including all relevant fees and information.


Extending the due date

If you are unable to respond to the RFI by the due date, you must seek an extension of time by submitting a request before the due date.


Monitor an application

After your planning permit has been allocated to a planning officer, you will be updated via an email notification at the following progress points in the assessment process:

  1. Lodgement of application
  2. Request for further information (if required)
  3. Notification of advertising (if required)
  4. Respond to objections (if required)
  5. Notice of Council meeting date (if required)
  6. Notice of decision

You can contact Council at any time throughout the assessment process for clarification. 

Public notification (advertising) process

What happens when public notice is required?

Public notice (advertising) is required if a planning application might result in material detriment to another property. The community are entitled to consider a proposal and its impact on them. Anyone can then submit objections or submissions for consideration by planning officers and Council.

Public notice can take the form of some, or all, of the following:

  • Mail-out to surrounding properties
  • On-site notice
  • Newspaper publication

Please note that if advertising is required an additional fee may apply to cover the costs. This cost can vary depending on the advertising requirements of each application.

All planning applications on notification are found on Council’s website here.


What happens if objections are received?

If objections are received, you are able to provide a response to the objections or concerns raised or make changes to the proposal.


Find an application on notification

Planning applications currently being advertised are available to view on our website here.

Documents are published for the sole purpose of enabling consideration and review as part of a planning process under the Planning & Environment Act (1987). These documents must not be used for any purposes that breaches any copyright or privacy laws.

Hard copies of any planning permit application being advertised can be viewed, by appointment only, at the Kaniva or Edenhope customer service centres. Prior to viewing, you will be required to sign a statutory declaration acknowledging that you will not use any of the documents in the advertising material for any purpose that might breach any copyright or privacy laws.

Objecting to a planning application

If you feel a planning permit application might negatively impact you, you may lodge an objection with Council.

If you wish to make an objection, you must do so in writing stating the reasons for your objection, including how the proposal would affect you if the permit was granted.

Your submission must also include your name and address, the planning permit application number and the address of the proposal.

Please note: that your objection, including your name and residential address, will become a public document for anyone to view. Objections are also provided to the applicant to enable them to assess whether any grounds of objection can be addressed.

Amending a current planning application

After a planning application has been submitted to Council for assessment, you might find that changes are required.

This is referred to as a 'Section 50' or 'Section 57A' amendment. The type of amendment and associated fee will depend on whether or not the permit application has already been advertised.

  • A Section 50 amendment is applied if the application has not been advertised. No fees apply to these applications.
  • A Section 57A amendment is applied if the application has already been advertised. Fees apply to these applications.