Health businesses

Under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008, some health-related businesses require registration with West Wimmera Shire Council.

These include:

Health businesses

  • Hairdressers
  • Beauty salons
  • Tattooists
  • Skin penetration

Accommodation Businesses

  • Motels/hotels
  • Bed and Breakfasts
  • Guest accommodation
  • Caravan parks
  • Rooming houses 

 Council monitors these businesses by:

  • assessing the plans of new health businesses
  • inspecting these businesses, and
  • investigating complaints.

New health business registration

Any new health business must register with Council and maintain registration while operating.

Under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008, these businesses must register with Council and pay an annual registration fee.

In addition, Caravan Parks are regulated under the Residential Tenancies Act 1997. Under the Residential Tenancies Act 1997 all caravan parks must be registered with Council. Registrations are valid for 3 years and a registration fee will apply. 

Operating without registration is an offence and may attract penalties.

Council has a fixed registration period that runs from May 1 to April 30 of the subsequent year. There is an annual fee for registration, which is set by Council.

  • Before you register, you should submit plans to Council. Council checks that the fittings and layout of your business meet the required standards.

Premises must comply with the Victorian Government Health Guidelines for personal care and body art industries and the Public Health and Wellbeing Regulations 2019.

  1. Complete a health business registration form.
  2. An inspection of your premises will be carried out prior to a decision being made regarding the registration of your premises.
  3. You might be required to undertake alterations or additional works before registration can be considered.
  4. It is important to note that you might require planning approval to operate a business from home, and new accommodation premises will need approval from Council's Municipal Building Surveyor prior to providing accommodation to the public.

Running a health business from home

Some health businesses can operate from residential premises.

This is allowed as long as you follow Council’s planning requirements for running a home business. You might need a planning permit to run a business from home.

Businesses operating from a home are also required to comply with the relevant regulations and guidelines.

Renew your registration

Council will send you a notice to renew your Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 registration.

To renew your registration, simply complete the application form and pay the registration fee. Return the complete application form and fee to Council by the due date.

Failure to renew your registration by April 30 might result in a late fee being applied in addition to your registration fee or cancellation of your registration.

Buying a health business

Before you buy an existing health business it is strongly suggested that you engage Council to undertake an inspection and provide a transfer inspection report.

The Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 transfer inspection report will detail all non-compliances.

There is a fee associated with this service and you will need the current proprietor to sign a form to release the information.

Transfer of registration

A business can transfer its registration before the registration expires. There is a fee to transfer registration.