Organising an event

Wilderness to Wealth float on parade - Henly on Lake Wallace (2008).jpg

Thank you for choosing West Wimmera Shire as a place to host your event. 

Our events team are here to support events in West Wimmera. We can assist you in accessing support with:

  • Event planning and mentoring
  • Event approvals and permit applications
  • Event grant opportunities and grant application advice
  • Event marketing

Whether you have plans for a large event or a small event, you may need permission from council, and we are here to help. 

The first step is to notify us of your event, and then we will support you through the process. 

We understand that it can be difficult to know where to start in notifying council and getting your permit approvals. This webpage gives you a roadmap of the process and explains the regulations that might impact your plan. 

Note: If you simply want to let Council know about your event for advertising and promotion purposes, fill out an advertising an event form

Event notify and policy process.png


This process will help us work with you to plan and support the requirements of your event. 

Get started by clicking the notification tab below, and filling in your application for a Community Quick Response and Events Grant. 

What types of permits might my event need?

There are a range of permits or registrations that your event might need. This includes;

  • Planning Permits: particularly if your event is to be held on private property and/or includes displaying signs or street trading.
  • Building: particularly if you event is likely to attract more than 4000 people and/or will have large structures such as stages and/or large marquees.
  • Environmental Health: includes registration and certificates required for food vendors.
  • Community Safety: includes road closures, trading permits for market stalls, alcohol consumption, noise and fireworks.


1. Notify Council of your event

Council wants you to have a successful event.  

Complete the form below to let us know about your event. This form helps us to confirm if there are any permits or approvals required to run your event.   

Complete Application for Community Quick Response and Event Grant 

Once you have submitted the form, our events team will contact you within to confirm the next steps.

If you have any questions or require more information, please call Amanda Munn 13 99 72 or email

2. Discuss your event with Council

Both big and small events can have requirements that need to be understood, we do this in two stages. 

Stage 1:

Our first job as an events team is to properly understand what you want to achieve with your event. 

We will also discuss the scale and complexity of your event so that we can accurately guide you through the compliance process. 

If your event is simple, we will give you the next steps to take and any support you need. 

If your event is bigger and more complex, our whole events events team will support you in stage two. 

Stage 2:

Our events team is here to help you to understand and complete the steps for your event to comply with regulations. This is required if you are serving food, running a commercial event, serving alcohol, and other reasons. 

What types of permits might be needed?

There are a range of permits or registrations that you may need for your event. 

  • Planning  - For use of land, other spaces and meeting statutory planning requirements.
  • Building - For construction of any platforms or structures that may be required to host your event.
  • Health - Registration for food provision, waste water and COVID regulations.
  • Local Laws - Trading permits, road closures, camping, noise management and other community safety regulations. 

3. Apply for permits and permissions

Below are links to various permit applications and information.

Please note you might not be required to complete these, it is dependant on your event circumstances.

Our event team will guide you on which further applications you require.

Potential Other Applications

FoodTrader Permit - For if you are serving food at your event. 

Liquor Licence - For if you are serving alcohol at your event. 
Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Registration 
1300 182 457 

Gambling permit - For if you are conducting raffles or other gambling activities at your event. 
Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Registration 
1300 182 457  

PoPE Application - 
A Place of Public Entertainment (POPE) may be required if your event will have more than 5000 attendees or if the space of the event is more than 500m2.
Please submit a completed Pre-Event Notification Form to allow Council to assess whether or not a POPE is required. These forms are available from the Council Offices or can be downloaded from the Council website. 

Grant Funding Organisations

These may be helpful to you for obtaining additional funding for your event. Please note, this information is supplied without any affiliation or endorsement of these organisations.