Update from the EPA: Illegal waste dump south of Kaniva
Published on 26 June 2020
Message from the EPA:
We are continuing to prepare the site of the illegal waste dump for the next phase of remediation.
Our staff have been on-site this month to scope further site stabilisation works. This will include a prepared area to enable the safe storage and testing of any excavated waste materials. Additional internal roads are also being considered. These roads will support the efficient movement of heavy machinery around the site.
EPA is legally required to make sure any works undertaken on-site have the required permits. We will continue to obtain all the necessary permits to support the next phase of remediation. We have had contractors on-site this month as part of this process.
We are also:
- monitoring groundwater quality, which shows no sign of contamination
- finalising the additional procurement work for site remediation
- continuing to obtain all necessary State and Commonwealth permits we need for onsite work
- monitoring the security of the premises
- continuing to investigate how the material arrived and then was disposed of onsite
- keeping you informed through our regular emails, website and local media.
EPA’s website is the best place to visit to stay up to date – www.epa.vic.gov.au/kaniva.
For further information and feedback:
If you know someone interested in receiving monthly Kaniva updates, they can email firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
Environment Protection Authority Victoria